Settling In

Saint Pius X Catholic High School aims to help every child to have a successful and happy education and we will do everything possible to ensure this happens. You have entrusted us with this very important job, and we value your help and support in building this critical partnership between home and school.

Falling out with friends and bullying

‘Falling out’ with other children is very common as new friendships are established. Give advice but avoid over-reaction – most friendship disruptions sort themselves out without adults getting involved. However, if your child becomes upset or withdrawn about friendship problems for longer than usual, or if you suspect that what is happening may be bullying, you should contact school.

Any form of bullying is considered unacceptable at Saint Pius X, but we need to know it has occurred so we can deal with it promptly. Although staff will not be with students all the time, we will do our utmost to stop bullying. The school has a strict anti-bullying policy that is part of the behaviour policy; this is available on the school website.

The school has training for ‘Safe Haven’ ambassadors which provides year 10 students with the skills, knowledge and confidence to support and guide young students settling into secondary school. These ambassadors work closely with the student support centre to assist students.

Contacting school - when and who

It is of course a difficult time for parent/carers when your child starts secondary school, achieving the right balance between support and being accused of fussing, and leaving them to flounder and fail.

If you keep talking to your child about how things are going at school it should be easier to ‘strike the right balance’.

If you have spoken with your child, offered advice and reassurance, helped them to come up with ways of solving the problem themselves and things still haven’t changed after a couple of weeks then it is time to speak to someone at school.

For any pastoral concerns please speak to the student support centre. For subject concerns contact the class teacher in the first instance and then the head of department.